Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Ice Hockey in action


I took this shot at an Ice Hockey game between the New York Rangers and the Calgary Flames in Madison Square Gardens from the 'nose bleeds'. It was taken at a great distance using a really high ISO of 560 at 300mm with a shutter speed of 1/250 so as to capture the movement but this was at the cost of the light quality. In the end I got a dark photo with quite a bit of noise. I like the pose of the Hockey player so much I really wanted to do something with this shot. Anyway, here I have tried two different approaches when post producing this photo. One was to go with the extreme and play on the darkness and noise, the other was to try and resurrect this photo. I'm not sure which works better if at all. Would be great to get some feedback on this one...

4 comments:

  1. Hey Sadhbh, hope you enjoyed the party on Thursday night.
    I really like the B&W shot. The capture and contrast is great. A really good action shot. One for the competition wall next year. Never mind the noise. I'd much rather capture a grainy shot than not capture the shot at all. Good stuff. Have a great Christmas and see you in the new year.
    Ciaran.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mrs Ahern,
    i want to use this photo for hockey shop in switzerland, which i have design, so can i buy your copyrights for this photo. Please contact me via email ( danieldaus.p@gmail.com ) as soon as possible.

    Thank you for you answer
    daniel dauš

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sadhbh,
    Just saw the b+w shot yesterday. I like it!
    All my life I played amateur hockey and I'm still a huge fan. I was also an underwater photographer for many years.
    Although I've been retired for a number of years, I'm working on a introducing a hockey related website to support a product that I've created.
    May I use the black and white photo? Happy to purchase it on a non-exclusive basis for sole use as one image on the site that I'm building.
    Please let me know at gregmacneil@rogers.com
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete